The API 2500 is a versatile stereo bus compressor that allows adjustment of sonic qualities that can alter the punch and tone of the stereo mix. The 19″ rack mountable unit features ATI’s patented “thrust” circuit for a chest-hitting, punchy bottom end. With its dual channel design, the API 2500 is set up for stereo compression, but can also be used as two separate units via a single compression setting. The 2500 boasts a range of parameters that make it incredibly musical.
API pushes the envelope of flexibility further with selectable “old” or “new” compression. The old style uses the feedback type of compression found in the API 525, 1176 and Fairchild. The new style uses a feed forward type, similar to other popular compressors.
The output stage features API’s auto-makeup gain button, permitting the user to vary the threshold or ratio while automatically maintaining a constant output level. Fidelity is ensured with an all-discrete, fully balanced design, and two front panel VU meters show input, output, and gain reduction levels.
- API 2520 op-amp
- Variable threshold between -20 and +10
- Selectable Ratio, Attack and Release times
- Patented “Thrust” high-pass filter before RMS detector
- Variable link between left and right channels
- Old “feed back” or new “feed forward” compression
- Soft, Medium or Hard Knee for easy to sharp compression
- Auto or manual gain make up
- 1/4″ balanced side chain inputs
- Output clips at +30 dBm